Tuesday 15 November 2011

The Mind is the Womb

Just now I have the urge to write this. If the mind is the womb for our words, then we have no choice but to wait for our words to mature. By this I mean, we all have a writer inside of us, developing and growing. What are we doing, in the meantime, to nurture that development?

I have to admit, I am sometimes scared of the words I give birth to. Is what I write really okay? My portfolio story kind of just fell out of me. those are the exact words that came to mind when I finished typing the last page. I thought, wow, that just fell out of me! I think it was a story that was developing for a long time, and  I was just finally able to write it. But now, I am unsure about it. I know its not a mutant baby, or anything like that, but I'm scared of what came out of me, if that makes any sense at all!

Lord help me!

3 comments:

  1. IT totally does. I feel something like that almost every time I finish a story. Did that really come from me? Where did that even come from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, most of the time. When a story comes flowing out, without much trouble or thought, I definitely feel this. Other times, when writing is a struggle, I start to feel that the story is more like a robot or something, something man-made and very constructed. I don't necessarily like the babies more than the robots or vice versa, but they feel different to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The feeling I get when I'm forcing a story out of me is that I'm writing it prematurely! Sometimes I will set it aside for a few days, or however long and when I come back, its easier to finish.

    ReplyDelete