Tuesday 11 October 2011

Finding my own style....

In my creative writing, that is, the writing that I am currently writing for my class--I cannot, as of yet, find the finished pieces I am looking for. That is, even though I have written a complete five page story, something still seems to lack.

All my life, I wanted to write. The only difference now is that I really want to write. Not just emotions. I don't want to skim the surface--I want to dive in. I want to find my own style.

And I'm finding the process of discovering that style a bit painful. It certainly doesn't come easy.

For example, assignment # 3 felt both forced and natural. Some parts came easily. I couldn't stop typing. Other parts were the result of a determined effort to write about something I wasn't very familar with. Nevertheless, the process was worth it. Even if the end product is something  that showed only the beginnings of the kind of writer I hope to be.

Now, back to studying....

Jaa Mata (See you later!)

2 comments:

  1. I rewrote #3 four times until I found something I was able to complete. I kept searching for that point when it was natural. I find I always feel like I am forcing it at the end.

    I like your last line: "Even if the end product is something that showed only the beginnings of the kind of writer I hope to be."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli and I were having a conversation along these lines the other day. We were wondering whether any writer ever really feels like a work is finished and perfect and lacking nothing. Maybe Alice Munro does. But maybe she doesn't. I think that if a writer says "I am a great writer. This is a great story, lacking nothing, and it is finished," then it probably IS lacking something. The other thing is that writing is subjective, so some people may think a story is lacking and others may think it isn't. I know what you're getting at, though. It's hard to find that 'voice' of your own. I started thinking this semester that I'm not sure I've ever actually written a good short story before. I think your uncertainty also goes along with a comment Courtney made a little while ago about us writers being a self-deprecating bunch!

    ReplyDelete