Saturday 22 October 2011

Writing publicly

Writing publicly...what does it mean, really? As an Aboriginal person I want to focus the majority of my writing on Aboriginal issues. This is an area that is very important to me. And by Aboriginal issues I don't mean to limit myself to only the larger issues but I want to bring attention to the seemingly smaller things. One of these things is the division between traditional First Nation's people and those First Nation's people who choose to follow the Christian faith.  For Aboriginal people, due to experiences with the residential school system, there are strong connotations of hatred associated with Christianity.  Christianity was responsibile for the systematic rape, murder, abuse and assimilation of our people, our culture and our children. So why on earth would any First Nation's person convert to Christianity?  Yet, it has happened and, now, Aboriginal Christians are often regarded as traitors to their own culture and people. Now, to be sure, there is some understanding--but often, there remains strong tension between a traditional First Nation's person and an Aboriginal Christian.

This is a very difficult topic. How do I write it? How do I write it for a public audience?  How would the public receive it? And, more importantly, how do I write it truthfully and objectively, while respecting both sides?

2 comments:

  1. I am also trying to work on a story for my portfolio that deals with trying to reflect two sides of a story without implying judgement on either one. It is turning out to be more difficult than I expected. I think you have a great idea, Night, very relevant and timely. Based on your poetry portfolio last semester, I think you have an amazing ability to see many sides of a situation and to write about those different sides respectfully and inoffensively. I have total faith that you can do this, and I urge you to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who cares how the public will take it! I would be very interested in reading your work when you finish it. Those "seemingly smaller things" need to be voiced.

    ReplyDelete